Way back in the day (circa 1984) my parents and their friends, Sonny, Jo Ann, Dwight, and Margaret went to a little town in North Carolina for a week at the beach. Then in 1986 my parents, Sonny, and Jo Ann built a beach house together in Rodanthe. Duffy, Beth, and I grew up going there and LOVED every second of it. Everything from knock knock jokes on the way down to loading the luggage on top of the van for the trip back home. Much to our dismay in 2008 they decided to sell the house. We were all sad but knew it was time to pass the awesomeness along to someone else....until this year that is:) My parents decided last summer to rent the old house again. I was super excited to show my little pumpkin my favorite place that holds so many wonderful memories and just kept hoping Brandon would get the time off. Crawfordbuilt has been very successful thus far (thanks to all the customers reading!) so he was able to give himself week off, PERFECT!
Before leaving we tried to exhaust little Miss by taking her to the park, chasing the dogs, and having her help in every possible way. We left at the start of her nap and viola it worked! For 45 minutes....we still had another 5 hours and 15 minutes to go...oh no! I entertained her with every possible toy, podcasts of Sesame Street, an episode of Sesame Street, and LOTS of singing! Finally, just about the time I thought we were all going to lose it we saw exactly what I was waiting for - the houses of Mirlo Beach. We were here! Lucky for us everyone else was already settled in with Lisa's pizza waiting! It was the beginning to a wonderful week.
There have been a lot of changes to Rodanthe over the years. We've lost quite a few beach front houses due to storms and there has also been a lot development (too much for my taste). The beach has also changed but the memories are still there. Pia was right (imagine that!) when she said Thomas Wolfe was wrong when he said, "you can't go home again," because we have come home again and boy does it feel good!!!
There's no place I'd rather be than in a town in NC called Rodanthe!
*I had so much fun looking through old pictures to see how Sea Oats Drive has changed and just had to include them!
 |
| Jo Ann & Beth in 1984 (my Mom & me in the background) |
 |
| Beth, Dad, & me in 1984 staying at the Seekford's house |
 |
| Poor Duffy! Duffy, me, & Beth in 1985 |
 |
| Beth & I in 1985 |
 |
| The Seekford house now:( Just waiting to fall into the ocean... |
 |
| Dancing! This was the year the Time Out was built, 1986. |
 |
| Again poor Duffy! (1986) |
 |
| All of us:) (1986) |
 |
| We've always LOVED the sand! (1987) |
 |
I added this picture so you could see how far back from the ocean we were but it's also pretty classic of my parents! (I think 1987 also)
|
 |
| Taken from the top of the street, today I'd probably have to be swimming in the ocean to take this. (1995) |
|
View from the end of the street now...
 |
| The Time Out. (1995) |
 |
| Now Todal Getaway |
 |
| View from the crow's nest (1995) |
 |
| No need to be on the crow's nest now to see the ocean. If you look just above the railing you can see it all... |
 |
| Again you can see no need to go on the crow's nest for a view of the ocean. |
 |
| Good shot of how close the water is to the oceanfront house (the Red House as we fondly call it) |
I love this post. We have spent a lot of great vacations at both the "Time Out" and "Toadal Getaway." We'll always be thankful for the introduction to our favorite beach destination, Rodanthe, NC! Only question is...when can we go together?! :)
ReplyDelete